Sunday, August 28, 2011

Scared Shitless

Yesterday was the Capitol Forest 50/100 mile mountain bike race.  Earlier in the week I signed-up for the 50 mile option, not really sure what possessed me to do it but I thought it would be a fun way to spend my Saturday.

I showed-up Saturday morning more nervous than I have been for any race this year.  The amount of my unpreparedness was weighing heavy on my shoulders.  But, the RD said go and I quickly forgot about nerves and focused on the task at hand.

The first 30 miles went by without any issues (unless you count one minor crash).   Then I got to the downhill portion off of capitol peak. I have never been on this stretch of trail and as soon as I pointed my front wheel downhill I panicked.  It was a very steep, rocky, rooted chunk of trail - I was scared shitless.  I do not have the necessary skills to navigate this type of terrain without causing damage to myself and my bike.  However, at this point I did not have a choice, I put on my big girl panties and held on for the ride.

After I got through that portion I was back on familiar terrain and it was smooth riding, punctuated with some walking to the end. Today I went out and ran a portion of the course to help clear the markings.  All in all, a good weekend!

Finisher!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Congrats! I love your description of the downhill portion - glad you and your bike made it down in one piece!