Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mommy Thumb

Over the past few weeks I've been experiencing increasing pain in my left wrist at the base of my thumb.  As usual, I ignored it for awhile thinking I had accidentally whacked my wrist on something and bruised it.  However, as the pain continued to worsen I thought it might not be a bruised bone after all, so I did a bit of internet sleuthing.  Turns out I have 'mommy thumb', I shit you not, such a thing exists.  The proper term for it is DeQuervain’s tenosynovitis.  What it means is through improper lifting/holding of my little bundle of sleeps when held (by the way, he sleeps quite nicely in his crib these days) I went and inflamed the tendons along my thumb causing stabbing pain any time it is rotated or moved.  Awesome...   As  part of our mothers day outing we stopped at Rite Aid where I purchased a thumb splint. You know, those really sexy splints you find right next to the support hose.  If I already didn't look frazzled enough, I think this is going to put me over the top.

Note: if you would like to check and see if you too have mommy thumb perform this simple test - make a fist with your thumb tucked under your other fingers, bend wrist.  If the pain makes you hit the ceiling you have mommy thumb. 

No comments: