Sunday, August 11, 2013

Mt Ellinor 20k

Not sure if you remember, but I had big ambitions to run White River 50 mi this summer.  Between Jasper's birth not going exactly as planned and then his inclination for fussing anytime he was left with Matt not much running occurred the first few months of his life.  So, no White River for me.  Looking back I think it comical that I ever thought that was a good idea....

As of late Matt is dealing with the fussing better (no, it hasn't stopped) so I've been able to get out by myself a bit more.  Before last weekend I made it out for two Saturday trail runs, both of which were ~10miles.   I felt this was sufficient training to sign-up for a 20k and picked out a doozie.  The 'Beast of Big Creek' which runs up Mt. Ellinor, meaning you gain 5,000' in six miles to the top and then  turn around and run back down.  Fun (I'm serious)!

My expectations were minimal going into the race - not keel over and die and finish.  I'm happy to report I accomplished both.  My writing this is evidence that I'm alive and I did finish, I was DFL, but I finished.  As you may surmise from my stellar finish, I ate some humble pie during this race.  And you know what?  It was delicious.  It took me some time to acquire the taste, but I learned a lot about myself that day.  Halfway up the climb I apologized to my body for being so hard on it.  It grew and ejected a little person and was now allowing me to run a hard ass race with no training.  So really,  who cares that I don't look exactly like I did before I got pregnant.  My body is bad ass and goes the distance for me.  Even when I am unkind to it, it plows through and does what I ask.  So, no more negative.  Which brings me to the second thing I did during that long hard climb, I thanked my body.  I'm thankful for what is, because that is where I am right now and I better accept it. 

As for the actual race, it was hard and beautiful and awesome.  It was a good day to be out on the trail. It was foggy down low and sunny as I approached the summit, I do love a good inversion.  I took my hiking polls and it was a good choice.  I used them on the climb and the stowed them in my fancy new pack for the run down.  Speaking of the run down, my strength is usually downhill running, not this time.  The downhill portion is where I became very aware at my lack of fitness.  I had one speed and it wasn't very fast.  I'm pretty sure I could smell my feet smoking from the friction caused by my excessive braking.

Foggy start of race

Sunny trail! Yes, that is the trail.

At the top
One of my friends, who also ran the race, hiked back out to meet me at the finish.  When I crossed the finish line the race director walked over and said "you should come back next year and try for a faster time".  My friend looked at him and said "how many other women just had a kid a few months ago and are out here running your race?"  Needless to say, his response to the race director made my day.  It was much better than my reaction, which was to look down in shame.  Back to my finish place, I was one of a hand full of women than did the race so how I finished can be viewed a few different ways:

1) I was DFL
2) I was top five women
3) I was first in my age group

My view.  I got to spend a day outside doing something I love.  To me, that is a win.  

Elevation Profile (and my [slow] time on the x axis if you're curious)


No comments: