Monday, September 6, 2010

East of Eden - Steinbeck

Since I posted my list of book to read, I figured I would also post opinions of said books.  I recently finished East of Eden by John Steinbeck and loved it.  I have read a number of books by Steinbeck and with each one I am reminded what a great writer he is. 

I will not bore you with the details of the book but rather skip to one of the main reasons I so thoroughly enjoyed it.  I tend to be drawn to books that have good character development.  I want the people I am reading about to have meat on their bones not just exist as some wisp of an individual that I hardly know.  This book provided that for me, along with a very good story line.  I definitely recommend it.

Other books that I put into the fantastic character development category:
  • The Thorn Birds
  • Pillars of the Earth
  • The Gunslinger Series
On another note, Matt left this afternoon to go elk hunting - hopefully he is a success!  

2 comments:

Amber said...

I think we have pretty similar taste in books. I also liked 'East of Eden'. Loved, loved, LOVED 'Pillars of the Earth'. Have you read the second book?

M&M said...

I did read it 'World Without End' and LOVED it!! I am sad that the rest of Follet's books are not similar...

Did you know that there is a mini-series for Pillars of the Earth? I was perusing netflix options the other day and saw it, I cannot wait to watch them!!