Sunday, February 19, 2012

I can be a jerk...

It seems like everyone in this town gets tomorrow off, I am not so lucky...  But, I did make the most out of my two days. 

Saturday didn't start out too hot.  I woke-up to my alarm and the pouring rain.  Not the most motivating start to a run.  This is one (of many) reasons I love running with the group.  They think I am going to be there, so, I get dressed and head out into into the torrential downpour. 

Photo Credit: Dave Molenaar
We headed down the trail, however,  after awhile we had to jump off the trail and head-up a logging road due to  trees across the trail.  Perfect timing for trail work, which we did after the run.  A few hours later, most of the trees and the rivers of water that forced us to change course were lopped and diverted into submission.

Today (Sunday) Matt and I met-up with Patrick for some cross-country skiing around Mt. Rainier.  I am the first to admit that I am not very skilled on skis, but I really enjoy it.  Today started off well enough.  I know that there is no point in going any speed other than mine, so I set off and did a fair amount of skiing by myself, which I am totally fine with.  It was a beautiful day, the sun even poked its head out a few times.

Matt and Pat chasing me.

 Our route took us up to Copper Hut.  One of the neat things about the backcountry around Rainier, is they maintain a pretty impressive hut system.  Unfortunately, I doubt we will ever have an opportunity to plan a trip to tour between them, they fill-up lightening fast.

We made it up to the hut without incident and went inside to eat lunch.  Afterwards we headed back to the car via a slightly different route.  The trail was not very well packed, narrow, and steep.  As I was chasing after them there was a moment when Matt waved at me and I summoned all my self-restraint to not flip him off.  I am fine with a challenge, I hate feeling like  I suck at something compared to the people I am with.
Copper Hut


Inside Copper Hut
I finally caught up with them and it was decided to head back the way we came.  Great, just wanted I wanted, to go back down the trail I worked so hard to get up.  Again, if I were by myself I would have been happy.  But, I was with other people that are far me competent that I and it killed me that they weren't haveing any issues as I struggled along.  I know awful (please note the title). 

Getting back down that part of the trail proved to be my undoing.  The guys took off and waited at the end while I made it down in fits and starts.  As in, I would start, fall, and have a fit.  It wasn't the falling that irritated me, I am good at it and accept this.  The fits were because the first fall ended with me  twisting my knee into an unnatural position.  Consequentially each fall thereafter was not pleasant feeling. 

I finally caught-up with the guys and Matt asked how I was doing.  I don't recall my exact response but it was pretty jerky, hence the title.  Anyhow.  I snapped, threw my brief pity party and then headed downhill towards the car.  Here's the beauty of being active and outside, I was having so much fun and it was so pretty that my anger evaporated about as quick as it manfested.  I quickly apoligized and spent the rest of the trip saying "Weeee!!"  all the way down.

Next weekend is the Hog Loppit - a 30k cross country ski race that we are doing.  More practice on skinny skis!  My goal is to have fun and not get ticked because I am not as fast as I would like.  The first one will be easy, the second may require some work.

2 comments:

Amber said...

You are not alone. I had a major meltdown on my first ski of the year. I am just no good at downhill, and I had to take my skis off to make it to the bottom of a hill after I had crashed. Afterwards, I couldn't get the darned things back on because snow was clogging the locking mechanism. For like 10 minutes. I got so mad that I literally threw my skis (not at anything). I was just SO upset that I suck so much at skiing that I have to take my skis off on the hard stuff...and then I can't get the darned things back on again. Argh!

Mary said...

This is exactly why I can't cross country ski with Dave. I'm more of a snow shoe gal :)