Sunday, April 22, 2012

Instant Gratification

Today we stopped by the feed store to put in our order for chicks.  I assumed I would be able to pick them up in a week or so.  As it turns out the poultry rancher (is that what they are called?) was due to come in later today and could add our chicks to his order.  Perfect!

So, a few hours later I wandered back down the street and came home with our newest additions, three, one week old (hopefully) hens.  If any of them turn out to be roosters we can return them to the feed store and receive a hen replacement. 

Aren't they cute!
I set-up the brooder, which consists of a tupperware container and a heat lamp. So far everything is going well.  After a bit of acclimation I had to do some booty cleaning since two of the chicks were "pasted up".  Read: their butts were caked with poo so they were unable to expel any more.  Now I guess I will wait and watch. 

Matt's project is coming along nicely.  The run is done and he has moved on to the coop.  When he made his plans, the intention was to build a chicken tractor, which would allow us to wheel the contraption around the yard.  As things are coming together it is looking like our set-up is going to be a beast.  Instead of easy wheeling it will be a two person job to move it. 

Chicken run.  The glowing orb in the back is the brooder

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Good for you! I'm a little jealous. :) We're opting not to get Chickens right now, with all the traveling we do. We're starting with bees; a little less maintenance. Then we'll see if we have time for chickens.