Monday, February 18, 2013

A Different Kind of Training

I know a lot of people look at pregnancy, delivery and (poor me) recovery as a time of discomfort.  Unless of course you are that woman that glows while pregnant and loves every single moment.  While I had an easy pregnancy it did come with its less than comfortable moments, moments I tried to view as training for my long runs.
  • Since early pregnancy coincided with  summer and good weather I kept running.  Sure, I cut out my weekend long run but I kept-up with Tuesday Rock Candy (hill work) and Thursday Priest Point (45 min run).   This isn't exactly a ton of running and plenty of people have done more, but I am proud of myself.  During this time I was exhausted and felt nauseous, as in each footfall made me want to vomit.  During races/long runs your stomach doesn't always love you.  What better way to better learn to deal with it then to have every moment of every run feel like crap?
  • As my pregnancy progressed and my weight increased, short runs caused my tootsies to hurt.   I'm talking the kind of hurt you experience 30 miles into a 50 mile run.  Options to deal with this 1) stop running, or 2) suck it up.  I opted for option two.  Again, what better way to learn to deal with something then have it become a constant in your life.
  • My labor and delivery was not the magical experience that most moms hope to have, instead it was the horror that I believe most people actually experience.  That being said it provided some solid endurance training.   Are you in pain - yes, is there an end in sight - no, too bad lady keep going!  Oh and everything that can go awry will, deal with it. 
  • I anticipated the last few weeks of my pregnancy to be my least active, oh was I ever wrong, it is the six weeks postpartum that I've been ordered to be a couch potato.  I don't do well with sitting around but I realize that recovery will occur that much faster and I can get back to life as I know it if I listen to my doctor.  So, here I sit on my duff practicing patience.  Life doesn't always go they way you plan and you have to roll with the punches. P.S. ask anyone that knows me, patience may be a virtue, but it is one I don't generally practice. 
    • Note: yesterday Matt took me into town to run some errands.  We parked the car and walked around.  I was so happy to be out and and about but today I am feeling it.  Lesson learned: don't do too much too soon or you will feel it.
  • Sleep deprivation - I feel no explanation is required for this one.  As far as training, this has got to come in handy for the the 100 mile race I hope to do.
But, it is all worth it for this handsome dude:

 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a sweet baby!

M&M said...

Barb, don't let this picture fool you. He is a pint sized dictator that doesn't like to sleep. Even so I still think he is pretty awesome!

Also, thank you so much for the blankets and the amazing quilt!