Saturday, January 18, 2014

Fat Ass

If you are not familiar with what a fat ass is let me elucidate.  A fat ass is a running event that can be summed-up by the following graphic:

Fat Ass Logo -- click to go back to homepage
no fees, no awards, no aid, no wimps
Source: cool running


















Which brings me to today's Capital Peak Mega Fat Ass.  We woke-up at 5:30, loaded Jasper into the car and headed to the start to help with runner check-in.  I would like to take a moment to say that while 99.9% percent of the runners were awesome, there were a few that didn't seem to understand the concept of a fat ass.  Questions like, 'where is the water, aren't you going to provide some' and 'are these really the only pins you have'  make me think next year I will print out the "rules" and stick them on the registration table.

After registration closed I hurried-up and changed so I could run.  Months ago I was planning to do the 34 miler, that now seems laughable.  I opted for the 17 mile option and silently calculated how long it has been since I last ran that far (answer: almost two years). The first nine miles went well, I felt good and was cruising along with a few other Olyrunners for company.  Then it happened, I reached mile 9.5 and it all went to hell.  My feet ached with every step and my legs were tired and didn't want to turn over.  Not surprising given I haven't been running.  Fast foward 7.5 miles, I ran to the finish line and was greeted by Matt and Jasper.  It was the best finish of my life.

During the run my inner dialogue kept saying "this isn't you, you're better than this".  And then it hit me.  No, I am not better than this.  This. Is. Me. It is where I am right now and I am damn proud of  it.  Sure, it wasn't as fast or as easy as it once was, but in time that will come back.  And you know what, if it doesn't, that is okay too.  I'm not out there to win races, I'm just out to have a good time and hang out with my friends.

Oh, and if you are curious it took me 3:20 to finish, six minutes slower than when I last ran it in 2011 and thought I was in shape.   

Photo: It was a beautiful day for a fat ass
It was a beautiful day for a fat ass. 




No comments: