Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Pain Game

The past month I have had some nagging pains manifest, specifically in my right knee.  My knees are usually kinda creaky, but this is worse than usual.  There is a lot of tightness and some nasty popping, things that don't elicit excitement.  Usually I just keep going, hoping that the pain will go away.  However, I have been at this long enough to know that idea is a dream.  So, I am trying to be smart, this time I've decided to be proactive.

Here is what I have learned - proactive is painful! I purchased myself a foam roller and have begun daily exercises that bring tears to my eyes.   Who would have thought such a harmless looking tool could be so nasty...

Torture device
In addition I am trying to get backing into some kind of yoga routine.  A number of years ago I took up yoga and was surprised to find I really enjoyed it.  I remember going to my first class, I was skeptical "stretching" would provide me with a workout I enjoyed, boy was I wrong!  Unfortunately, as time passed I have fallen away from any type of practice.  The result, I cannot touch my toes, hell, I cannot even get close to my toes!  That cannot be good, so, it is time I find yoga again (and hopefully my toes!). 

2 comments:

Amber said...

Oh the pain of the foam roller! I have a cranky IT band that feels SO much better if I consistently roll it out, but the roller literally makes me cry. My IT band is mostly healed up right now, but only because I am only running while playing soccer once or twice a week.

Mary said...

I still remember going to a class with you in Okemos - that was such a great class! I'm hoping to get back to doing some as well but options are a bit limited in our current location and I'm a bit unreliable on my own. Good luck with the knee - ouch!