Monday, July 4, 2011

We are so adventurous!

(steps on soapbox)  Ahem...

Have you seen the Ford commercial, the one where they have non-ford people drive their cars, specifically the one where the guy makes the statement that "I am an adrenaline junky"?  Well, Matt thinks it is a ridiculous commercial and I am not too far behind.  Why, you ask?  I'll tell you why, who says that?  In my opinion, it is similar to saying "I am so beautiful", which, I think most people are.  But, it is not a statement that you use when referring to yourself, unless of course you are trying really hard to make sure people see you a certain way. 

This (the adrenaline junky) is a situation where I generally think action speaks louder than words.  In my experience the most impressive people I know also tend to be the most humble. 

Now, you are welcome to call me a hypocrite, it is possible that I am.  You would be correct if you pointed out that after complete some ultras I posted something on facebook.  Here is where I think the difference is, I stated a fact (i.e., I finished my first 50k!) vs. directing a persons thought (i.e,. I am so hardcore, I just finished my first 50k).  I think it is better to let the reader draw their own conclusion.  Maybe instead of hardcore they just think I am an idiot.  They are entitled to form their own opinion without my trying to sway it.

No comments: