Sunday, January 16, 2011

Mega Fat Ass

Fat Ass (definition) - fun run put on at no/low cost to participants.  The general motto is "No awards, No tee-shirt, No aid, No frills and NO WHINING!  It is not, as one of my friends thought a complaint about how large my posterior is...

Order of yesterdays events:
  1. Run Fat Ass
  2. Make friends!!!
  3. Go to Urgent Care
  4. Play pinball
  5. Eat Pizza
Matt and I both signed-up for the 17 mile version (there was a 55k as well), turned in our toilet paper and began our run.  It was a out and back course on trails that I have ran many times.  There is something comforting about knowing what to expect while out on the trail. We have been getting a lot of rain lately so the trails were pretty muddy/wet.  I don't have any pictures of the run, the weather man called for rain and so I opted to leave my camera in the car.  Too bad, the rain held off until we were done.

The run itself went pretty well.  I felt good for the first 11 miles, around mile 12 I felt like someone jammed a hot knife into my side.  Unfortunately that feeling lasted though the end of the race.  Matt also experienced some issues beginning at mile 12, more on that later...

Upon finishing I was milling about the finish area waiting for Matt and the a great thing happened, I made some friends!!  There was a group of wonderful women that were super friendly and very helpful re: olympia trail running and events.  I am looking forward to running with them and getting to know people in the area.

Distance: 17 miles
Time (Mel):  3:14 (hr:min)
Time (Matt):  3:38 (hr:min)



Urgent Care, I am sure you are wondering what landed us there.  The issues Matt started having around mile 12 were a bit more worrisome then what I experienced.  To the point, his pee was "coca cola" colored.  There are a couple of options for what could have caused this.  He is scheduled to receive a CT scan later this week to rule out a kidney stone.  Personally, I don't think it is a stone, I am pretty sure it has to do with muscle breakdown.  But, I am not a doctor so I wouldn't put too much weight on my opinion. 

A pretty good day for me, a less than stellar day for Matt.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Is that a running SKIRT!?!? I like it. I've thought about getting a biking one, but the good ones are pretty pricey.

I'm impressed that you can persevere through so many trail miles. You must have a pretty expansive pain cave!

Is your 50-miler a trail run?

M&M said...

Yes, it is a running skirt and I LOVE IT! As you can see I chose the most obnoxious pattern I could... Check out www.skirtsports.com - I think they may do cycling ones as well. Plus, they offer really good deals sometimes. I got mine for around $30.

The 50 is also on trails. I don't do well with road running, it is really hard on my joints. While marathon training 2 of 3 times I ended up with stress fractures. Therefore I have sworn off the roads, at least for the longer distances. Anything over about 8 miles I head to a trail system.

Love the new bike! I tried to comment on your blog last night and it wouldn't allow me :( I'm looking forward to hearing about your touring adventures!