Saturday, August 21, 2010

22 miles of fun?!?

When I decided that I wanted to run an ultra I searched the internet for a training plan (can been seen in an earlier post).  I seem to function much better if I have a matrix that tells me what to do and when.  When left to my own devices I seem to prefer extremes - I either over or under train. 

Today's box informed me that I was to run 22 miles.  I figured this shouldn't be too terrible since I have been logging some big miles up to this point.  Was I ever wrong...  All in all the run was good and I completed all 22 miles.  I just had some minor issues along the way.

Give the increased distance I switched over to my backpack and camelback to carry water and snacks.  I have used this pack for many adventure races and never had a problem with it.  Unfortunately this time I had problems.  The pack on the smallest settings was not small enough to hug my body.  This caused a lot of jostling around while running.  I am now the proud owner of some terrible chafing on my lower back - not fun.

Then there was the issue of my extremities.  I have gotten accustomed to the pain in my feet that trail running seems to cause.  I attribute this pain to a number of factors, namely a) they are flat; and b) rocks and roots.  Today the rest of my lower half seemed to rebel along with the feet.  From trudging up and down hills my lower back and hipflexors were toast.  By mile 17 I was shuffling along much slower that usual.  The last 5 miles seemed to go on forever,  I resorted to making deals with myself to keep going.  It worked and I finished, then again I didn't have much of a choice.  It isn't like someone could come and pick me up.

All in all it was a great run.  It gave me some confidence going into my upcoming run- I am really starting to think I can do this.  Plus, I figure I cannot feel much worse so I only have one way to go - up!

Stats
Distance - 22 miles
Time - 4:45
Pace - 12:57

3 comments:

Amber said...

I have terrible issues with blisters and chafing. I used to use a Camelbak Luxe for long runs, but it was always uncomfortable because it jostled around and would chafe my shoulders after about 10 miles. Don't even get me started on the super-tight strap over the boobs deal. I just bought a Nathan Intensity pack for my marathon training. I haven't put major miles on it yet, but it's much more stable than the Camelbak so far. And no boob strap since it's more vest-like. I'm a convert.

M&M said...

I tried on some Camelbaks and I know what you mean - it was awful! The Salomon pack has a good boob strap, which is causing me some hesitation in retiring it. I have seen a number of people with the Nathan vests, you will have to let me know how you like it.

When is your marathon and which one are you doing? How is training coming for you?

Amber said...

The plan right now is marathon next June in Anchorage, Alaska.

I'm not training too much because of my IT band and lack of motivation caused by said crappy IT band. It doesn't hurt too much, but PT has not helped it, which is discouraging. I decided to back off the running right now so I'm healthy to start marathon training this winter.