Monday, August 9, 2010

Adventures in P-Town

This past Friday Matt had a furlow day while I had to work.  But, we figured a way to capitalize on both of these things.  I could work from Portland.  Yes, perfect!  This would allow Matt time to cruise the city while I tended to some obligations and then we could meet up for some fun. 

First things first, upon arriving we headed to The Flavor Spot - a food truck that serves everything wrapped in a waffle - delicious.  We each ordered a waffle with maple spread and sausage, amazing doesn't begin to describe the taste.  About half way though I was beginning to wish I had ordered the waffle with jam, the mix of sweet syrup and zesty sausage was starting to be a bit much.  In the end I couldn't finish it, I had to walk away with a few bites left. 

While munching away on our waffles we noticed that Voodoo Donuts was right down the street from us.  For those of you not aware of Voodoo Donuts it is an awesome hole in the wall with a very unique selection of donuts.  Options include but are not limited to: cock and balls, butterfingering and the bacon maple bar just to name a few.  You can check out their menu here:  http://voodoodoughnut.com/menu.php 
Since we had started our day with excess we saw no reason to stop now, we ordered a dozen.  As of this writing there is one lonely donut from that batch remaining. 

At this point Matt and I parted ways, I went into the office while he headed to Powell's and then onto Forest Park.  After I put in my couple of hours we joined back up for some afternoon cocktails.  While visiting Sandra a number of years ago she took me to this Peruvian restaurant that is home to the most amazing cocktail I have ever consumed.  I just had to have another - off we went.  Sitting at the table looking over the drink menu I was starting to panic, they don't have it anymore!?!  That cannot be, I must just be overlooking it.  I asked the waitress about it only to have her confirm my worst fear, they no longer serve it...  That isn't to say their other drinks are not good, it is just I had yet to have anything that even comes close to comparing to my memory of this one drink. 

After ensuring that we were properly filled with drink we head off to Next Adventure, a sweet outdoor shop whose entire basement is filled with consignment goods.  If you have been in our apartment you know that we have more outdoor gear then available room.  Due to this we are making an effort to off load anything and everything that we are not using.  We ended up making more $$ than we hoped for and quickly ran upstairs to spend our spoils: 3 cams, a set of crampons and a belay device. 

All in all a good way to spend a Friday. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I'm totally curious, what was the drink??? And hungry! Those donuts and waffles make my breakfast of cheerios seem pretty sad. We did try to get into Golden Harvest last weekend but they were unusually packed - nonetheless, I thought of you, Melissa.
-Mary

M&M said...

I wouldn't be too jealous, I felt ill after a day of extreme indulgence. Apparently there is such a thing as too much of a good thing :)

As for the drink, I have no idea what it was called. It consisted of some strange fruit (that I had never heard of) blended to creamy perfection with rum and a shake of nutmeg on top. Here is the link to their current drink menu: http://www.andinarestaurant.com/docs/menu/bar_menu.htm

Scroll down and check out the Novoandinos, they are all unique and pretty tasty sounding. I suppose I will have to work my way through them until I find an acceptable substitute!
-Mel